Monday 10 February 2020

Literacy Legends


This week, our focus strategy was Self-Questioning. We talked about how good readers think of questions they have about the events and characters in texts and read on to find the answers. Good readers are like detectives! Here, the students are playing “Hot Seat,” they were pretending to be a character from the story being ‘interviewed’ by their partner. Some of the answers had the interviewers in stitches!

 

The students also wrote about something fun they did in the holidays. We revised the features of a recount, focussing on how we can create a “Sizzling Start” that hooks our reader in. We discussed using language creatively to describe events, rather than just telling the reader straight away. The children then wrote postcards from the favourite place they visited in the holidays. Here are some of the wonderful examples:



Splash! I could hear the waves splashing the sand. I walked in the golden sand and went in the water, up to my knees.~Maahir



People were rushing into the cinema. I coud smell the cooking popcorn, while it was popping wildly... Finally the movie started. I sprang our of my chair and called out, "Jumanji Level Two!"~Erin


I hear people chattering, getting ready to watch the movie. When it started, silence hit the crowd.~Manav














No comments:

Post a Comment